Once in a while, we get messages from users, who do not understand Themeshaker's features very well. Not that many, but we are still very concerned of this happening. It has not been difficult to address every issue personally, but we decided to write up a post that could answer most of the questions straight away.
The purpose of this post is to provide general information and instructions on how to make the most out of this site. The guide begins with an overview of the homepage elements, and goes on to describe the use of basic and advanced filtering. Learn how Themeshaker can help you to find the right WordPress theme quickly and easily. If you still have a question that has not been answered, please ask us.
1. Homepage Elements
Themeshaker's homepage displays the site's navigation, advanced filtering (“Shake It”) and a thumbnail list of currently loaded themes you can explore. The themes displayed change based on the search criteria you specify. The default homepage displays the latest themes. Homepage lists all of the site's navigation and it loads themes based on your search criteria. The homepage consists of:
- Top Navigation Bar: The site's main navigation (Home, Categories, Styles, Layouts, Features, Price, About, Blog, Contact Us).
- "Shake It”: The site's advanced filtering option. Click on the tab to open the panel.
- Logo: Located under the navigation bar. Works as a homepage link. You may click on the logo to go back to homepage.
- Search Box: Located on the top right, under the navigation bar. Use it to type a search term (such as a name of a theme or a particular feature). The search results will load themes that satisfy your search term.
- Options Bar: Located under the site's logo. It enables you to set certain options for displaying themes, such as the way they are ordered or the thumbnail size. It also displays the number of currently loaded themes.
- List of Themes: Thumbnails of the all loaded themes are displayed under the options bar. You can click each thumbnail to visit a theme's individual page.
- Feedback: Grey button on the bottom-right side of the screen. Click it to open the feedback comment form. Type your name, email and feedback and click "send" to send us your feedback about the website.
All of the available themes are displayed on the homepage via handy thumbnails you can hover to see more info about a theme and view a larger screen cap. Click on a thumbnail to visit a theme's individual page where you can learn more about the theme & its features and visit a theme maker's website to purchase/download it.
Themeshaker is built to be fast and lightweight. All themes are loaded automatically on the homepage and you can scroll down to see more themes. When you scroll down, a button with an arrow up appears on the bottom-right corner of the screen. Click it to go back to top.
1.1. Options Bar
The options bar is located under the Themeshaker logo and above the theme thumbnails. It displays the number of loaded themes and it enables you to set the way you want to display theme thumbnails.
Homepage options bar has several options:
- Order By: Enables you to set the way themes are ordered on the homepage (based on date, number of views, rating and price). There is also a switch button to reverse the orders (descending or ascending order).
- Loaded: It displays the number of currently loaded items and the total number of items in a selected category.
- Thumbnail size: This option enables you to change the theme thumbnail size.
Use it to change the criteria for listing themes on the homepage. The default ordering is by date added (starting from the most recent themes). You can order themes based on the date added, number of views, rating and price. Click on an option to reorganize themes based on this criteria.
There is also a switch button next to the Order By drop-down menu which enables you to change the order of the items displayed: descending (arrow down) (default) or ascending (arrow up). Click inside the orange switch button to change the order.
For example, if you wish to display themes from the most expensive to the most affordable ones, choose "price" in the Order By drop-down menu and the descending order. If you want to display themes from the most affordable to the most expensive ones, click inside the switch to reverse the order. This will result in the free themes being displayed on the top.
This option shows the number of currently loaded items and the total number of items. The themes are loaded automatically whenever you perform a search. The number of currently loaded items show you how many themes are currently loaded. Scrolling down will make Themeshaker load more items and the number will go up. The "out of" number shows the total number of the available themes in any given category.
The default number displayed is the total number of all the themes presented on the website. Whenever you perform a search and narrow your criteria, the number of the available themes changes to show how many themes there are that satisfy your search criteria. For example, when you search for themes in the Education category, the number of themes displayed will be the total number of themes in the Education category.
The website is built to emphasize simplicity, so the themes are automatically loaded whenever you choose a category or perform a search. The number or currently loaded themes depends on several factors, such as the thumbnail size (smaller thumbnails make more themes to be loaded at once) and the total number of themes in a given category.
This option enables you to change the thumbnail size of the loaded themes. Simply click on the slider (round button) and drag it to the left or right to change the thumbnail size. Changing the thumbnail size will change the number of themes loaded per row.
Thumbnail size options:
- Small thumbnails (drag the slider to the left): The smallest thumbnail size will load 5 themes per row.
- Medium thumbnails (default) (drag the slider to the middle): Medium thumbnail size loads 4 themes per row.
- Large thumbnails (drag the slider to the right): The largest thumbnail size will load 3 themes per row. Choosing this option will disable lightbox view of the theme's screen capture on hover.
1.2. Themes List
Themeshaker loads themes automatically whenever a search is performed or cleared. The themes are loaded as a list of thumbnails. You can easily change the order in which they are displayed and the thumbnail size in the options bar above the loaded themes.
The default view on the homepage shows all of the available themes. Whenever you perform a search or set different criteria for theme ordering, the number and/or the order of the themes will change.
You can hover over any of the loaded themes to learn more about it. Hovering over a theme will reveal its name, tagline/short description, the number of likes received and price. It will also display a larger theme screen cap in a lightbox next to the theme thumbnail (unless large thumbnail size is selected).
Click on the theme thumbnail to visit the theme page. An individual theme page offers detailed information about the theme and its features. There is also a link to the theme maker's website so you can purchase/download the theme.
2. Basic Navigation
Themeshaker makes it easy to search for themes based on many different criteria. You can use main navigation drop-down menus (Categories, Styles, Layouts, Features, Price) to search for themes based on a particular category, style, layout, feature or price option. Simply choose one option in a drop-down menu to load themes in this category. You may also search for themes by typing a search term into the search box located on the top right.
Whenever you click on an option, select a different search criteria or type a term into a search box, the results will be loaded automatically and the themes which satisfy your search criteria will be loaded.
The Categories option enables you to search for themes based on different categories. Categories are usually based on the type of websites. Most themes can be used for many different types of websites (such as portfolios, blogs, corporate sites, online shops, magazines, etc.). However, each theme is best suited for particular types of websites, based on the features, layout, page templates, etc. This is why it's important to search for themes in a category you are interested in.
You may search themes based on 23 categories. Click on a category in the drop-down menu to load themes within this particular category. The themes will be loaded automatically when you click on the chosen category. You will be able to see how many themes there are in the chosen category and how many of them are currently loaded. Hover over a theme's thumbnail to see its name, tagline, price and the number of likes. Click the thumbnail to visit the theme's page where you can learn more about the theme and its features and visit a theme maker's website to purchase/download the theme.
The Styles option enables you to search themes based on a distinctive style. Some of the styles offered are visual (colorful, dark), some are technical (one-page, grid, full-screen), while some represent distinctive styles and preferences (feminine, vintage, professional).
Click on the style in the drop-down menu to search for all the themes with this particular style. You may search themes based on 12 theme styles:
- Bold: Themes in this category display a big, bold look when it comes to elements, typography, images, color schemes, etc.
- Colorful: These themes have vivid colors and color schemes.
- Creative: Themes with unique, creative designs, layouts and solutions.
- Dark: Themes with dark color schemes.
- Feminine: These theme have a distinctive feminine look.
- Fullscreen: Themes with designs covering the fullscreen of users' browsers.
- Grid: Content in these themes is displayed within a grid.
- *Horizontal: With these themes, the most important content is displayed horizontally (usually in a slider).
- Minimalist: Themes with clean, minimalist design that doesn't rely on heavy visuals or complicated layout solutions.
- One-Page: These themes display all (or most of) their information within one page. Different sections within the page are usually linked in the navigation.
- Professional: Themes in this category have a clean, professional look best suited for corporate or business sites.
- Vintage: These themes have a distinctive retro/vintage look.
The Layout option enables you to search themes based on a particular layout type you are interested in. Click on the layout type in the drop-down menu to search for all the themes with this particular layout type.
You may search themes based on 5 layout types:
- Both Sidebars: Themes with 2 sidebars (left and right), usually 3-column themes.
- Flexible: Themes with high flexibility over the layout (via powerful shortcodes or layout builder).
- Left Sidebar: Themes with a left sidebar.
- One Column: Themes with one column (no sidebar) layout.
- Right Sidebar: Themes with a right sidebar.
A note: Most of the themes presented on Themeshaker have at least two layout types.
The Features option enables you to search themes with one particular feature you may find important for your chosen theme. Click on the feature in the drop-down menu to search for all the themes with this particular feature. You may search themes based on 16 distinctive features:
- Alternative Color Schemes: Additional color schemes are included within this package, ensuring there’s a style that suits your needs and taste.
- Built-in Shortcodes: A set of pre-defined styles and code snippets you can use to create beautiful and complex layouts. Place shortcodes in posts, pages or widgets.
- Custom Post Types: If you are planning to launch a large scale website then custom post types is a must-have feature for better content organization.
- Design Files Included: Customize the look of the theme by editing the source files. It gives you a complete control over every single design element
- Featured Content Slider: Showcase your top stories in a slideshow. It’s a great technique to display large amounts of information in a relatively small space.
- Filterable Portfolio: Portfolio items are loaded and sorted using Ajax. Browsing through different categories within the gallery does not require refreshing the page.
- Flexible Homepage: Widgetized areas on the homepage enables you to add, remove or re-order content, depending on the information you want to showcase.
- Form Builder: Create simple or complex custom forms for your website. Building a fully functional product order form takes only a few minutes.
- Layout Builder: Make your own decisions of how your site looks instead of the theme deciding it for you. Powerful tools for structuring the content your way.
- Localization Support: Translate any text into your own native language or run a multilingual WordPress site. It has been localized for easy translations.
- Page Templates: Different type of pages can be set to employ custom page templates. Each template serves a particular purpose.
- Post Formats: Build a great microblogging website with various types of content. Post formats determine how a specific post will be styled.
- Responsive Design: This theme responds automatically to fit any screen resolution and delivers optimal viewing experience across a wide range of devices.
- Styling Options: Make this theme unique without touching any code. Change colors, fonts or backgrounds with easy to use theme styling tools.
- Twitter Feed: Allows you to pull the latest tweets from a selected user account and display them in any widgetized area on your website.
- Video Tutorials: Instructional training videos will guide you through the process of setting up and maintaining your new WordPress site.
A note: These are just broad feature categories you may find interesting and useful and they don't represent a full list of features. If you are interested in a feature not listed in these categories, check the full description of the theme on the developer's website.
The price option makes it easy to search for either free or paid themes. Click on "free" to load only free themes and "paid" to load paid themes. The themes will be loaded automatically.
You will be able to see how many themes there are in the free or paid category and how many of them are currently loaded. Hover over a theme's thumbnail to see its name, tagline, price and the number of likes. Click the thumbnail to visit the theme's page where you can learn more about the theme and its features and visit a theme maker's website to purchase/download the theme.
3. Advanced Filtering
“Shake It” is the most powerful search feature on Themeshaker. This is where you can narrow your search criteria to find the themes that suit all of your requirements. Unlike the main navigation, where you can search your themes based on ONE chosen criteria (one category or one style or one layout type or one feature or one pricing option), Shake It feature enables you to combine your criteria and to search themes based on many different requirements. It is a fast and handy advanced search option that will make you easily find the best theme that satisfies all of your criteria.
To begin the search, click on the Shake It button to open the advanced search panel. Here, you will be able to select all the options you want. This panel has 5 tabs, corresponding to 5 major theme options: categories, style, layout, features and price.
Click on the each tab to select the type of themes you are interested in. Simply tick the box next to an option to include it in your search. Move between tabs (categories, style, layout, features and price) to refine your search. For example, if you are interested in free blog and microblogging themes with two sidebars, you will select "blog" and "microblogging" options in the categories tab, "both sidebars" in the layout tab and "free" in the price tab.
If you make a mistake you can click on the ticked box to unselect it. You may also reset the form and clear all selections with the "clear selection" button on the top right of the Shake It panel.
It's important to note that the search is performed automatically as you tick boxes. Whenever you tick a box, Themeshaker will load themes that satisfy your search criteria.
3.1. Choosing a Filtering Mode
Filtering Mode switch (located to the right of the tabs) helps you search for the themes satisfying your criteria. There are 2 completely different filtering modes:
- Match All (default): This mode will search for themes that satisfy all of the criteria you specified (all ticked categories, styles, layout types, features and price options). This is a good filtering mode for narrowing your search and finding themes that satisfy all of your requirements.
- Match Any: This filtering mode will list themes that satisfy at least one of the criteria you specified. For example, if you ticked "featured content slider" and "page templates" in the features tab, Themeshaker will list themes that have a featured content slider, or page templates, or both.
To switch between filtering modes, simply click or drag the switch box.
3.2. Clearing the Selection
Clear Selection button (located on the top right side of the Shake It panel) resets the form and clears all of the selections you've made. It unselects all of the ticked boxes so you can start a new search.
3.3. Performing a Search
The search is performed automatically as you tick boxes. Whenever you tick a box, Themeshaker will load themes that satisfy your search criteria.
When you're satisfied with the search criteria, simply check out the loaded themes. Hover over a theme's thumbnail to see its name, tagline, price and the number of likes. Click the thumbnail to visit the theme's page where you can learn more about the theme and its features and visit a theme maker's website to purchase/download the theme.
4. Individual Theme Page
A theme page displays unique theme information about each individual themes presented on the site.
Theme Options Bar
Under the main navigation bar and website's logo, you will find a theme options bar with theme specifications.
The bar lists following theme information:
- Categories: All categories a theme belongs to are displayed.
- Styles: A list of styles a theme belongs to.
- Layout: A graphical representation of theme's layouts.
- Price: A theme's price is listed in dollars. If a theme is free, a green "free" icon appears.
All options except for the price are clickable. It means you can easily search for other themes in a given category, style or layout. Simply click the name of the option (or one of the layout graphic styles) to search for other themes within a particular category.
Theme Screen Capture
Under the options bar there is a 500x400 px screen capture of the theme, to give you an idea of a theme's appearance (layout, default color scheme, etc.)
Theme description is displayed on the right side. It lists a theme's name and a short tagline. There is also a handy "like" button displaying the number of likes a theme has received so far. Click on the heart icon to like a theme.
The description offers essential information about the theme, such as functionality (the type of sites a theme suits best), the most striking features and other unique elements that may help you decide if a particular theme is a good choice for you.
Under the theme description there is a link button to the theme maker's website where you can gather additional information and purchase/download the theme.
The theme page also lists theme features in a quick and organized manner. This is a handy list of the most important features a theme has. Each feature comes with a short explanation. Theme features' descriptions are standardized (not theme-specific): they appear on the pages of all themes that share this particular feature.
There are 16 features that may appear on a theme page. These are the same feature categories that appear in the "Features" option on the main navigation bar at the top of the page.
Please note that the features list displayed on the theme page is not exhaustive. The goal is to present the most important/crucial features, which can help you decide if a particular theme is suitable for you. However, a theme might have some additional features not mentioned in this overview.
You May Also Like
Finally, on the bottom of a theme page, you will find "You May Also Like" section with similar themes you may wish to check out. Hover over a theme's thumbnail to see its name, tagline, price and the number of likes. Click the thumbnail to visit the theme's page.
The layout displays 4 thumbnails. Click on the arrows to the left and right of the recommended themes thumbnails to load more recommended themes.